Skip to main content

tv   The Kelly File  FOX News  May 5, 2015 6:00pm-7:01pm PDT

6:00 pm
a book called "jackanapes." i think it was 1922. again, thanks for watching us tonight. ms. megyn is next. i'm bill o'reilly. remember the spin stops here. we're definitely looking out for you. breaking tonight, the 2016 race for the white house transformed again. three new candidates jumping in in just the last 24 hours and talking to the "kehl willlly file" first. welcome to "the kelly file." i'm megyn kelly. hours ago the big announcement from hope arkansas. mike huckabee declaring that he is running for president. the governor promising to give america what he says president obama has failed to deliver. >> we were promised hope, but it was just talk. and now we need the kind of change that really could get america from hope to higher ground.
6:01 pm
>> in moments, i'll speak to governor huckabee who is here with me live. and he will get his first chance to face our panel of voters as an official 2016 presidential candidate. but first, it was two decades ago that one road to the white house began in a place called hope. for then-arkansas governor bill clinton. now another son of hope is counting on history to repeat itself. so "the kelly file" decided to visit governor huckabee's hometown and he showed us around a bit. >> reporter: born august 24th, 1955, to dorsey and mae huckabee his childhood of that of a typical american kid. >> hope is a great kind of town to grow up in because it's a lot like mayberry. >> reporter: his dad worked two jobs as a firefighter and mechanic. his mom, a clerk at a gas company. the family lived paycheck to paycheck in a small one-story rental house. >> it's the only house i ever knew growing up.
6:02 pm
>> reporter: the young huckabee learned to ride his bike in the alley across the way, loved to play baseball until dark in the lot near his home. >> we'd take black electrical tape and wrap the baseball in it so we'd get a little more mileage out of it. >> reporter: but it was at his father's firehouse just steps away from the family home where some of his fondest memories were made. >> sliding down the pole and playing on the fire trucks and ringing the bell on the ladder truck. >> reporter: by the age of 14, huckabee already had a job at the local radio station. >> the manager of that station was my mentor not only in the sense of the radio station, but he was also a mentor to me in terms of community service and patriotism. >> reporter: at school he became heavily involved in student council. and by the age of 16 he was already a successful statewide politician. chosen governor of arkansas boys state, a mock government program for kids that has shaped the lives of many leaders including president clinton. a few days after boys state ended, another transformateive
6:03 pm
event took place. this time the young christian traveled to texas for what some referred to as the jesus woodstock. >> it was an extraordinary event. if you grew up in a town of 8,000 people to be anywhere with 100,000 people is pretty stunning. >> reporter: it was here that he and other evangelical christians learned from the likes of the reverend billy brey yy graham and rocked out to entertainers like johnny cash. >> reporter: a year later, huckabee would achieve something. >> my family never graduated high school nevertheless college. >> reporter: by 1974 another major life event. he married the love of his life his high school sweetheart janet. it was a simple ceremony at her mother's house. together he and janet raised their two sons and a daughter while he made a living as a local pastor. it wasn't until age 36 that huckabee first decided to try
6:04 pm
his luck at national politics running and losing a 1992 race for u.s. senate. in 1993, his luck would change. he won the lieutenant governor's seat a position he held till 1996. that's when scandal hit then-governor jim "guy" tucker who was convicted of fraud and forced to resign. as huckabee prepared to take the oath of office tucker stunned voters with a sudden about-face refusing to step aside. huckabee wasn't having it. >> you are now going back to what you told the people. and it feels, it seems to me that your actions are being done in your interest not in the interest of the people of arkansas. >> reporter: after a few wild hours, huckabee took over. two years later, he was elected again, and yet another term followed after that. eventually he would aspire to an even higher office. the year was 2007. >> are you running for president of the united states? >> tim, tomorrow i'll be filing
6:05 pm
papers to launch an exploratory committee, and yes, i'll be out there. >> reporter: in the 2008 white house race huckabee struck a chord with conservatives and evangelicals. finishing at or near the top in key battles. and in what would become his signature wit, he won over the crowd with a few zingers. >> we've had a congress that spent money like john edwards at a beauty shop and it's high time -- >> whether we need to send somebody to mars i don't know. but i'll tell you what if we do i've got a few suggestions, and maybe hillary could be on the first rocket to mars. >> reporter: eventually the republicans chose another candidate, and huckabee bowed out. >> ladies and gentlemen, i called senator mccain a few moments ago. >> reporter: many thought huckabee might be chosen as mccain's running mate but that job went to governor sarah palin. as for huckabee the radio host-turned governor returned to his roots in broadcasting. >> welcome to "huckabee." >> reporter: his show was a hit. and as the 2012 presidential
6:06 pm
race approached many expected him to capitalize on his growing brand. they were proven wrong. >> all the factors say go. but my heart says no. and that's the decision that i've made. >> reporter: and as the 2016 white house contest began to produce contenders huckabee's name again began rising up the rank. finally in january 2015 the boy from hope offered supporters just that. >> i say good-bye but as we say in television, stay tuned. there's more to come. >> reporter: it was only a hint then. but today, he made it official back in hope. >> so it seems perfectly fitting that it would be here that i announce that i am the candidate for president of the united states of america! >> and joining me now with a live studio audience ready with
6:07 pm
questions of their own, governor mike huckabee candidate now for president of the united states. governor great to see you. >> thank you, megyn. great to be here. >> how do you feel? >> i feel terrific. i'm glad that i was able to finally say i'm going to run for president, i'm a candidate. and it was a remarkable day. basically today we had so many people that were 2500 people. we had 900 in overflow. that means that it's like one out of every three people who live in hope were there. >> i know you said you were relieved when they clapped. it would have been embarrassing if they had that reaction when you announced that you were running. >> it would have been. >> you did say in 2012 that you weren't running, and we showed the clip of that. what changed between then and now? >> this country has changed. i think i came to the conclusion that i was in a better position to make the run. i was not ready. i was ready mentally and emotionally, but i don't think i was ready organizationally and politically. i think i am now. and i think today's announcement
6:08 pm
reflected what shocked a lot of people just how ready we were how detailed our team was. that we're taking this seriously. this is not some vanity project. i'm planning on taking this all the way to the white house. >> now, last time around you won in iowa, among other places. and the evangelicals loved you. this time around the pundits say you have more competition for the evangelical vote from ted cruz to marco rubio. and the questions being raised can you do as well with the evangelicals and can you broaden your coalition which you needed to do the last time? >> first of all, i think the narrative that the evangelicals were the only support i had is not exactly accurate because what i had in 2008 and what i think will happen this time is a coalition -- a lot of them yes, evangelicals, but a lot of people who are working-class people who feel that the government of the united states has simply ignored them. left them behind forgotten them. we had a couple that got to the hall today at 1:45 in the
6:09 pm
morning from south louisiana. they arrived at 1:45. we still had crew working getting things ready. they said the doors won't open until 8:00. they said we don't want to miss a thing. they stayed? the parking lot. the lady is blind. they stayed in their car. needless to say, we moved them to the front seats. megyn, that's the kind of support that we see. we had a lady call our office today after the announcement. said "i've got $36 in my bank account. i'm sending 10 of it and i'll send more when i can." this is who is out there. >> i know you say 5, 10 and hopefully greater donations from people who support you as opposed to the billionaires who may pick and choose another republican candidate. do you have one of those billionaires, too? >> i hope so. i'd love to have a bunch of them. and i understand that we've got to have a lot of money to run the campaign. i'm not being coy about that because yes, you've got to raise a lot of money, an obscene amount of money. one of the disgusting things is it's not about the best guys.
6:10 pm
if you have a few sugar daddies, you can be a credible candidate whether or not you have a stink stinkin' idea or not. we all have to live with the same rules, and that includes me. >> let's talk about how you'll appeal to the conservative base of the republican party because you've got to check that box as will hillary who will be the nominee. some knocks on you have been that you are not conservative enough and that you're a big-government guy. and as governor you did reduce taxes in some instances, but you also increased the minimum wage raised gas taxes, sales taxes, some other taxes and you increased spending and the size of government by hiring more employees. so the cato institute says that you are the biggest big-government conservative running. is that true? >> no it isn't true. part of what they do often organizations, a think take will take a template and create their template that they will lay over all 50 states this. they don't look at the unique
6:11 pm
statutory requirements. for example, state government actually grew only a half a percent, half of 1% per year during 10 1/2 years that i was governor in the most democratic state in america. megyn, i didn't have a republican legislature that walked in every day and said governor what would you like for us to do to make you look good? >> it's a heremiracle you got elected. >> the greatest mereiracle of all, i never got my legislative package passed because of all the headwinds. >> you were only the third governor elected after reconstruction in the state of arkansas. it's not like this was a red state. and yet you got to the top of it. but now u explain to me because some of the folks say, well you know he's this big-government guy, and he's not going to appeal to the republican base because of things like his position on illegal immigration. back in 2006 i think it was, you supported a path to citizenship and said locking up or deporting 12 million people isn't going to happen. do you stand by that? >> what we need to do is fix the border. look i think everybody
6:12 pm
basically agrees that the problem is not a problem that people want to come to america. i don't blame people for wanting to come to america. i said today in my speech i get on my knees every night. i thank god people are trying to break into america and not trying to break out of america. but we've got to have control of the border which we don't. that's not so much a problem of people who want to come here. that's a problem of our government not doing its job. >> so secure the borders first. >> absolutely. >> on the size of government you said in 2008 i'm not a republican because i grew up rich and as our piece documented you did not. >> yeah. >> you said i'm a republican because i didn't want to spend the rest of my life poor. >> yeah. >> waiting for the government to rescue me. explain that. >> poverty is an industry in america. there are a lot of people who are poor in america who are poor because the government traps them. this nonsense that people are poor because they want to be, that's not true. people aren't poor because they like to be poor. they're poor because they don't feel like they've got a chance. and every time they try to reach for the next rung on the ladder it is the boot of government that often comes right crashing against their head. because the programs penalize
6:13 pm
people for wanting to work harder. i told a story of the guy i met in new hampshire. he started working a double shift. and he thought, okay i'll work 16 hours a day rather than 8. i want to help my daughter through grad school. he'll make twice the money, right? wrong. because working a double shift means he made so much money in the double shift that now he's in a new tax bracket, and the government got more of what he made in the second shift than he did. >> last question before we go to our panel. you say you've had experience running against the clinton machine. technically, they were out of arkansas by the time you took the governor's mansion. what do you mean by that and how will that be an advantage to you? >> when people say they were gone let me tell you, bill clinton was governor for 12 years. that means 1,000 people he apointed to office. when i came into office first as lieutenant governor, then as governor -- >> they didn't give you a warm and fuzzy welcome? >> oh no. my door was nailed shoot as lieutenant governor. >> that is actually true. >> it was literally nailed shut. i couldn't get in for 59 days. it wasn't like they did it and
6:14 pm
said i was just kidding. for 59 days all the office furniture had been stripped. couldn't get letterhead printed. >> you're lucky they didn't take it. >> i was lucky i lived to tell about it. i would get on an elevator and people would get off. it was brutally but i learned how to govern. >> a softer departure from the fox news channel. you can attest to that. >> yeah nobody threw anything at me. it was a wonderful departure, and i still love the people here. >> i've asked you some tough questions and my panel is going to ask you some tough questions. >> i may have to leave before that. >> you will see that happen in a moment. it's only a day in but up next our panel of voters real-live republican voters get to grill him on his potential plans for this country. plus go to look for the governor's announcement video, leave a question in the comments and someone will get a chance to challenge the man who would like to be the next president right after this break.
6:15 pm
>> thank you. thank you. ♪ during its first year, a humpback calf and its mother are almost inseparable. she lifts her calf to its first breath of air, then protects it on the long journey to their feeding grounds. one of the most important things you can do is help the next generation. at pacific life, we offer financial solutions to accomplish just that. ask a financial advisor about pacific life. the power to help you succeed. ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ the ones with the guts to stand apart -
6:16 pm
join a league all their own. ♪ sunday dinners at my house... it's a full day for me, and i love it. but when i started having back pain my sister had to come help. i don't like asking for help. i took tylenol but i had to take six pills to get through the day. so my daughter brought over some aleve.
6:17 pm
it's just two pills, all day! and now, i'm back! aleve. two pills. all day strong, all day long. and for a good night's rest, try aleve pm for a better am. ( spinning tires ) ♪ he doesn't need your help. until he does. three cylinders, dual overhead cams and 50 horsepower. go bold. go powerful. go gator. get 3,500 dollars off select gators at a dealer near you.
6:18 pm
did i announce that i am a candidate for president of the united states of america.
6:19 pm
>> breaking tonight just hours after announcing his run for the white house, and for his first time as an official 2016 presidential candidate, governor mike huckabee is facing america's voters. we have gathered with us here a group of real-live republicans who may have a say in whether the man sitting to my right actually becomes the nominee. so we'll start with the republicans. and if you get the nomination then we'll move on to democrats and republicans together. >> so if i don't pass tonight, then i'm done one day. >> yeah it would be a bad omen. >> it would be a bad omen. >> we start with deneen. >> governor baltimore and other communities are failing under progressive policies. what would you do to stimulate economic opportunities in these cities? >> there are several things that need to happen. there's a lot of emotional reaction that's going on in places like baltimore. we've got to balance the law and order with an understanding that there is incredible sense of frustration in the criminal justice system.
6:20 pm
presidents can't fix that. it has to be fixed largely at the state level. but the president can set the agenda and should set the agenda to remind people that if you have frustrations there is a process to experience getting those frustrations out. and it's not burning and looting and tearing things down. >> do you feel like folks have been too tough on the police in baltimore or just tough enough? what do you think? >> i think what we have to do is to ask ourselves why are those emotions so close to the surface? and one of the things when i was governor we looked at the criminal justice system. there is a disproportionate level of crime that is often committed in the african-american community. but there is an even greater disproportionate level of people in the african-american community that get incarcerated. i would look at cases, for example, where a kid who was 18 with a nonviolent drug arrest would go to prison if he was black. if he was upper middle-class white, he'd get a good attorney. he'd get a probate in sentence. he'd go to rehab for 30 days and he'd go on to go to law
6:21 pm
school. now, tell me that doesn't create some resentment in the community. of course it does. so for us to pretend that that's not there, i think, is just fool foolhardy, but it's also important to say we're not going to tolerate people burning down their stores and the homes and the businesses of a neighborhood. >> adam goodman. >> yeah you've had a lot of success in your career but there were two times that you didn't quite make it in the senate race and of course in 2008. but usually you find that that makes a candidate stronger. how did it make you stronger and how do you come into this race maybe more committed and maybe a bit more able to prevail? >> i think you're always better if you've been through a race before because you have a little better understanding of what you're going to experience. frankly, i think that when you win a race you don't appreciate the intensity of the race as much as when you lose one. when you lose one and you're ready to get up off the canvas and go right back in the ring you know then for sure you ran for the right reason. so when people tell me they're
6:22 pm
going to run for office and i say how many times are you going to run? oh just once. i'm going to win. what if you don't? oh i'm going to. i said unless you can commit to running more than one time don't run once because very few people win their fist time. and you're a much better candidate when you run the second time. and i hope that you know it's something that i believe you're a little seasoned. you're tougher. you've got some scars on you. you have some gray hairs, or maybe no hairs. i was looking at some of these pictures and i'm thinking my gosh i looked young before i got into all this. >> quite a head of hair. >> but i do think that that's part of what makes us better leaders, because we've experienced what a lot of people in america are experiencing. they're experiencing some tough times. people had jobs they lost them. people that once were employed they're not anymore. they once had a good job. now they've got a lousy job. they're just barely getting by. i think if you have had some experience of your losses not just in elections, but personally i believe it makes you a stronger and better person. >> let's move on. yevgeny.
6:23 pm
>> governor so the cost for a typical family of four right now's health care is about $23,000. obamacare's not really helping middle-class families. what would you do to start addressing that where progressive policies have failed? >> well the reason progressive politics have failed it's all about let's spend more money, but let's just spend it to intervene at a catastrophic level. when i was governor -- and the thing that i propose today is we need to be focusing on cures, not on treatments. treatments we'll never catch up with it. alzheimer's alone will cost you a trillion dollars by 2050. i was a kid growing up in the '50s when we eradicated polio. i remember lining up at the courthouse. we'd all get our vaccines so we wouldn't have polio. i went to school with kids who did have polio. here's what could happen. if we would say we're going to put the same effort to get rid of alzheimer's, heart disease, diabetes and cancer that we did on getting a man to the moon or getting rid of polio, we would save trillions of dollars. we'd also save the heartache that a lot of american families
6:24 pm
are feeling with the most dreaded diseases that we face. that is how we change the whole paradigm from an intervention model to a prevention model. and that's not what we've done. it's what i tried to do as governor is to focus on preventing diseases and curing diseases rather than treating them when they're out of control. we'll never catch up with the spinning of that ever. >> jennifer crumpton. >> you recently said that you speak jesus. and as a christian minister myself i wonder what female character in the bible best helps you to understand the struggles of women and why equal pay is so crucial for the social and economic stability of families? >> probably ruth. i think ruth was a true hero because she had every reason to abandon this new family that she had been i guess, married into. and decided that instead she was going to be loyal and faithful and she was going to live her life as one who followed god. she recognized that she could have turned to her old god, but
6:25 pm
she didn't. she wanted to follow the god that she saw in her mother-in-law. and you know not many people will follow their mother-in-law anywhere. i think that in itself is a pretty incredible testament. as far as equal pay, i think sometimes what we're missing, particularly when we're talking about pay scale, people should get equal pay. that's not, i don't think, a question. i worry more as how we fight over things like -- and i talk about this a lot -- minimum wage as if the best thing we can tell an american is we're going to help you be better at the bottom. good gosh people why do we want anyone to live at the bottom? >> but you raised the minimum wage in arkansas when you were governor. >> and i'm glad you brought that up because the reason that we did was because there was a proposed constitutional amendment that would have raised it to an amount nobody could live with. and it was going to get on the ballot and probably pass. so the chamber of commerce and the business community and both democrats and republicans in the legislature came and said you
6:26 pm
know this would be a train wreck. it would destroy jobs and businesses. and there was an agreed-upon piece of legislation that passed almost unanimously in a very very divided kind of government. and it was supported by the unions. it was supported by the business community. and so yes. so when people say, he passed the minimum wage. that's why i go back to this thing when groups that are these think tanks put the template over you, do they really know what they're talking about? and in that case they most certainly did not. >> brian morganstern in the middle. >> hi governor. today you announced that you want to abolish the department of education to improve education and promote the family's role in that sphere. well the department's only been around since 1979. and we have many different versions of families these days. and so the question is two things. how does abolishing the department make kids better educated? and why not support a variety of different types of families that would create that kind of environment to give kids more
6:27 pm
opportunities? >> brian, the first thing i'd tell you, you say how would abolishing the department help education? i would phrase it this way. how has having the department helped education? we've spent billions and billions of somebody's money with this agency. but how has it helped? it hasn't. if there's any education reform happening in america, it's happening at the state and local level. where local school boards and where governors are saying nuts to this kind of failure. and a lot of what we're seeing is when people empower parents to make choices about their kids' education. i think we ought to give people the choice. if they want to home school their kids let's accommodate that. i was the first governor in america that appointed a home-school parent to the state board of education. that was controversial, but this is a growing movement in our country. some of the home-school kids are the most effective and absolutely the most stunningly successful kids there are. >> i want to get a couple more.
6:28 pm
>> governor i was listening to you the other day, and you were giving a pretty pithy breakdown of the field. i want to know who is the drunk redneck at the bar itching for a fight? >> it could be all of them. i think the best thing is that all of the others drop out, recognize that i should have it this time and let's be done with this. i told marco rubio, we were together backstage at the nra event a few weeks ago. marco rubio is my florida co-chairman in 2008. i said, marco, i think you're making a huge mistake. you need to reprise your role as my florida co-chairman. we're still good friends. i'm still good friends with pretty much everybody in that field. they're good people. what i hope that happens is there is a respectful kind of competition for the job. i look at it that we're all wanting to be the quarterback. but the best way to win the job of quarterback is to play a better game on the field, not to go and disable the other people who'd like the same job. >> you're not naming names. >> no. >> not tonight.
6:29 pm
>> i'm too nice a guy for such a thing. >> so in appealing or trying to appeal your evangelical base you very openly criticized a lot of people in other groups like same-sex marriage supporters atheists women who swear at work, people that let their kids listen to beyonce, so on. do you worry about being able to win a national election having criticized all these people? and if not, why would someone remember you criticizing them want to vote for you? >> first of all, i don't know that i'm criticizing people. i'm making observations about the culture. megyn and i have have a lot of fun talking about the swearing and all the other things that are going on. my feeling is this. if people want to have a different view than mine i welcome that. i think america is based on the idea you can have more opinions. what i worry about is the loss of religious liberty when people who do believe like me who believe in natural marriage and biblical definition of marriage i worry that we could be criminalized. and we are being. and if you don't believe it ask
6:30 pm
aaron and melissa klein up in oregon who have potentially a $35,000 fine because they didn't want to participate by making a cake for a same-sex couple. i think they should have the right to say, look i'll make you a cake. i'll make cupcakes cookies, do anything you want but i can't make it specifically for something that would violate my conscience or even use the argument that it was violating their artistic freedom. when we make it so that people can't believe the full extent to which they want it's not about marriage. it's about religious liberty. that's a bigger issue. >> we've got to wrap it up but i have a quick question to you for you. >> ask away. >> does hillary clinton need to hold a press conference or give an interview soon? >> well of course she does. and one of the reasons she's able to get by with it -- i mean can you imagine a republican in that much hot water who refuses to even answer questions from the press? and instead shows up at chipotle with sunglasses and believes that somehow she can skate around it?
6:31 pm
look, we all have to be accountable to the voters. we all have to be accountable to questions like this where we don't know what's going to be thrown at us. that's part of the process. and if we can't handle that kind of heat then we don't belong in the kitchen. >> governor mike huckabee thank you for being here. >> thank you, megyn. great to be with you. and thank you. enjoyed being with you guys. >> thank you all so much. panel, give yourselves a round of applause. nicely done. next time we'll get to more people. up next as a book full of allegations hits the shelves, the campaign is launching a new attempt at damage control. and britt hume is here next. plus we'll ask him about the good governor. >> so while republicans are latching on to the most far-fetched theories in an attempt to cut hillary clinton down she's going to stay focused on helping everyday americans get ahead and stay ahead. [ male announcer ] whether it takes 200,000 parts ♪ ♪ 800,000 hours of supercomputing time 3 million
6:32 pm
lines of code, 40,000 sets of eyes, or a million sleepless nights. whether it's building the world's most advanced satellite, the space station, or the next leap in unmanned systems. at boeing, one thing never changes. our passion to make it real. ♪ ♪
6:33 pm
i have type 2 diabetes. i started with pills. and now i take a long-acting insulin at night. i take mine in the morning. i was trying to eat right, stay active. but i wasn't reaching my a1c goal anymore. man: my doctor says diabetes changes over time. it gets harder to control blood sugar spikes after i eat and get to goal. my doctor added novolog® at mealtime for additional control. now i know. novolog® is a fast-acting, injectable insulin and it works together with my long-acting insulin. proven effective. the mealtime insulin doctors prescribe most. available in flexpen®. vo: novolog® is used to control high blood sugar in adults and children with diabetes. take novolog® as directed. eat a meal within 5 to 10 minutes after injection. check your blood sugar levels. do not take novolog® if your blood sugar is too low or you're allergic to any of its ingredients. tell your doctor about all medical conditions and medicines you take. ask your doctor about alcohol use, operating machinery, or driving. the most common side effect is low blood sugar. symptoms may include dizziness, sweating,
6:34 pm
confusion, and headache. severe low blood sugar can be life-threatening. other common side effects include low potassium in your blood and injection site reactions. get medical help right away if you experience trouble with breathing serious allergic reactions like swelling of your face tongue, or throat, sweating, extreme drowsiness dizziness, or confusion. now i know about novolog®. taken by millions since 2001. vo: ask your health care provider about adding novolog®. it can help provide the additional control you may need.
6:35 pm
new developments tonight in the scandal involving the clinton foundation and allegations that hillary clinton used her influence to provide favors to foreign donors during her time as secretary of state. today mrs. clinton's campaign launched a new website to try to counter these claims. detailed in a new book out this week. watch this. >> the bottom line is this. as secretary of state, hillary clinton made decisions based on her commitment to protecting america's national security and standing up for freedom and dignity around the world. not the interests of donors to the clinton foundation.
6:36 pm
so while republicans are latching on to the most far-fetched theories in an attempt to cut hillary clinton down she's going to stay focused on helping everyday americans get ahead a ahead. >> joining me fox news channel senior political analyst, brit hume. that puts that to bed, right? >> well i think, megyn, when you look at that video that they put out today, you know it's another stab at trying to quell this mini-firestorm that's been raging now for a while. and my guess is it may, you know provide a talking point or two for people who are committed to her to use on television or wherever. i don't think it's going to have much effect on the case in the sense that they claim there are no facts. they sometimes say there's no evidence or no direct evidence in this book. in fact there's a lot of evidence. there are a lot of facts. and the only question is whether it's circumstantial evidence. but remember this, megyn.
6:37 pm
people get indicted get convicted and go to jail constantly based on cases that are purely circumstantial. >> mm-hmm. >> so that argument i don't think, is going to settle the case. >> what do you make of it as a strategical measure? brian fallon her campaign press secretary, nobody's heard of him. the audience doesn't know him. the country doesn't know him. they know her. and she has yet to speak. >> well that's true. and eventually it would appear that if this doesn't die down and shows no signs of abating at least not yet, she's probably going to have to come forward and deal with these questions at some kind of event, a news conference or whatever. but turn it around megyn, and look at it the other way. the question for her campaign really when you think about it h she has no real opposition yet on the democratic side. so she looks like she's got a clear glad path to the nomination. so the question for her is how many people who turned out to vote for barack obama in 2008 and again in 2012 in the general
6:38 pm
election will be turned off by this case and all the other related baggage that it suggests enough to vote for a republican? that's the question. when you look at it. and i think from the clintons' point of view they're probably at this point thinking well probably not very many. >> right, it's a pretty good gamble for her. what do you make of the latest polls which aren't good news for her. in particular the one saying is she honest and straightforward, "wall street journal," only 25% say that she is honest and straightforward now. >> well you know that raises this question. and that is whether people are so disgusted with politics and politicians that they no longer expect any politician to be honest straightforward and don't believe anyone is. now, i don't think that's the case but we may be headed in that direction, in which case that number won't really hurt her very much. now, i don't think we're there yet. and there's some good news in that poll for her. look the democrats are hanging in with her. that poll shows they're still with her. and her favorability ratings,
6:39 pm
while they've declined a little bit, she's still well above 50%. among democrats. well above. and i think she's, you know she's -- this is a problem for her, one she's going to have to deal with. >> yeah. >> but it doesn't look insurmountable at this stage. >> quick answer how did huckabee do? >> oh i think he had a good day. he's a very likeable guy, as you could tell there with the audience. huckabee is a very appealing guy. all of us who knew him while he had his gig here at fox all liked him. he's one of the nicest guys around. the question is whether he has the ability to break through in an early state and then parlay that as he tried to do in the past into a big national campaign against a lot of people with a lot of money and a lot of name recognition? >> he'll always have hope. brit great to see you. >> thanks megyn. we have breaking news tonight on who was behind that weekend terror attack in texas. and new fallout in the first amendment fight now raging over this case. >> this is what happens when you
6:40 pm
light the fuse. you get violence. >> that's -- i -- but you sound like you are defending -- >> no i'm not. >> you are attacking the event itself.
6:41 pm
when you're not confident you have complete visibility into your business, it can quickly become the only thing you think about. that's where at&t can help. with innovative solutions that connect machines and people... to keep your internet of things in-sync, in real-time. leaving you free to focus on what matters most.
6:42 pm
♪ ♪ just because your bladder is changing doesn't mean you have to. with tena's unique super-absorbent micro-beads that lock in moisture and odor... you can keep being the one with a new story. tena - lets you be you. unbelievable! toenail fungus? seriously? smash it with jublia! jublia is a prescription medicine proven to treat toenail fungus. use jublia as instructed by your doctor. look at the footwork! most common side effects include ingrown toenail, application site redness, itching, swelling burning or stinging, blisters, and pain. smash it!
6:43 pm
make the call and ask your doctor if jublia is right for you. new larger size now available. test test
6:44 pm
breaking tonight, one of the suspects in the attempted terror attack at a texas draw muhammad event was reportedly in close contact with an isis recruiter for several months before sunday's shooting. these new developments come as we hear new questions about whether the group that was attacked somehow crossed a line argueably inviting it. >> by setting up a contest and awarding $10,000 for a depiction of the prophet muhammad the american freedom defense initiative spurred a violent incident. that wasn't smart. even though the group has its supporters. mike i'm withholding his last name in fairbanks, alaska wrote megyn kelly was completely
6:45 pm
right and you were completely wrong. an event like this should be held daily. the muslim world doesn't like it tough. insulting the entire muslim world is stupid, mike. it does not advance the cause of liberty or get us any closer to defeating the savage jihad. >> joining me now, richard faler, nationally syndicated radio talk show host. richard, i say this to bill. the relevant question is not did those under attack say something offensive. the relevant question is what do we do about a group that wants to kill us for exercising our constitutional rights. and you say? >> this is -- i agree with bill 100% and for once in my life i agree with bill. here's the distinction. let me parse your question just a little bit if i can. yes, there are people that want to kill us isis al qaeda, but muslims as a whole do not want to kill us. and i think that's part of the problem. when you go around and you depict who they worship as some sort of character or some sort of cartoon, it's offensive, and
6:46 pm
it's wrong. i would feel the same way -- i would feel the same if somebody depicted jesus as the crazy cartoon. >> but there's no debate about whether it's offensive. everybody knows it's offensive. >> it is. and i think gallagher was really putting this on to create attention, to promote her organization. >> gellar. >> gellar excuse me. >> even if you hate her message. she was promoting free speech. and as rich lowrie put it in a column today, today, he writes criticism of islam is at the vanguard of the fight for free speech since it is susceptible to attack. >> but megyn -- >> by jihadists and calls for self-censorship and politically correct. >> there's nothing wrong with free speech but be smart, not stupid. why would you invoke attack by people coming to your event. >> do you hear what you're saying? >> it's ridiculous. >> we in this country need to limit our constitutional rights freedom of speech -- let me finish -- lest we invite a tack
6:47 pm
or as o'reilly put it spur an attack against us. that's the way we need to be looking at this? >> freedom of speech is a right that also comes with the freedom of religion the freedom of press and freedom of association. muslims should be free to worship. >> as they are. >> freedom of speech comes with limits. and this is a clear limit. >> no it isn't. you're totally wrong. >> just like going into a theater and yelling fire or walking into a black church and yelling the "n" word. they're offensive and they will invoke a reaction. >> you are fundally confused and wrong. >> i think you're fundamentally wrong. it doesn't make any sense. >> why don't you go back and look -- excuse me, richard. you had your say, and now i will respond. the decision issued in 2011 8-1, a nearly unanimous supreme court, the liberals and conservatives joining together saying notwithstanding the fact that the westboro baptist church offered hurtful speech which did not contribute hardly at all to the public discord, it was
6:48 pm
negligible value. nevertheless free speech still allowed them to do it. and the american people overwhelmingly -- >> this is not about case law. this is about common sense. >> you said -- you said that the limits of free speech end here. and that this is akin to yelling fire in a movie theater, which is not protected speech. and i am telling you this is free speech. >> it doesn't make any sense. why would you paint a caricature of another group -- another group's god and say it's okay and laugh at it. >> why would you show up at the funeral of dead soldiers and say god hates f-a-g-s? >> i'm not condoning the baptist church. >> the more offensive the speech is richard, the more protection it needs. that's how the first amendment works. >> exactly. >> -- to say it without aligning ourselves with the message. >> it doesn't mean you should do it. the first amendment -- the first amendment does give us right to freedom of speech. it doesn't mean you should go out there and do it. >> here's the issue. when people exercise their first amendment rights and two jihadis
6:49 pm
show up to murder them the relevant question at that time is not what were they saying. the relevant question is what are we going to do about this group of people that wants to murder us because we believe in spree speech and the first amendment? >> if they never had that event, the jihadis would have never shown up. that's the cart before the horse. it's just that simple. and this particular incident megyn, they would not have shown up. >> i'm concerned about the america you would have us live in. that's not the way it's set up. >> i live in an america where everybody accepts everybody and not makes fun of their god. >> explain that to them. being respectful. i've got to go. i've got to go. i have another guest coming up after you. it's great to see you, as always. also we are hearing ugly new attacks on policing in america, but not so much about the challenges facing cops. the wife of a baltimore cop joins us next. and go to twitter @megynkelly with your thoughts on my debate.
6:50 pm
meet the world's newest energy superpower. surprised? in fact, america is now the world's number one natural gas producer... and we could soon become number one in oil. because hydraulic fracturing technology is safely recovering lots more oil and natural gas. supporting millions of new jobs. billions in tax revenue... and a new century of american energy security. the new energy superpower? it's red, white and blue. log on to learn more. the volkswagen golf was just named motor trend's 2015 car of the year. so was the 100% electric e-golf. and the 45 highway mpg tdi clean diesel. and last but not least the high performance gti. looks like we're gonna need a bigger podium. the volkswagen golf family.
6:51 pm
motor trend's 2015 "cars" of the year.
6:52 pm
my name is marcus jenkins. i'm a lineman here in oakland. day in, day out, a large part of what we do is about providing reliable power to our customers. pg&e is dedicated to the community. i love working here because this is my home. oakland is my home. this is where i'm raising my children so it's important to me to make sure my family and friends have the power and energy that we provide. this is very personal to me.
6:53 pm
it makes me work a lot harder knowing that this is my community. together, we're building a better california. well, the death of freddie gray has touched off a debate about policing in america. lost in the conversation has been what's going on with the six officers charged in baltimore.
6:54 pm
sarah is the wife of a baltimore police officer and has been setting up fundraisers for the so-called baltimore six. so your first attempt to set up a fundraiser to help them with their legal costs what happened to it? >> well, the fundraiser was actually to help support the families get through this. that was on that one was shut down pretty >> they say they don't help people who are charged with serious crimes. you buy that? >> correct. that's what they gave me on that one. >> do you accept that? >> that's what they said. this -- we -- we've made this one specifically for the families. i don't know how the families are being charged for this but that's what they told me. >> so that got taken down. then what did you do? >> then we went to indy go it's been a rough battle with them. they put it on a freeze a
6:55 pm
temporary freeze trying to verify all the information. unfortunately, they just told me a few hours ago they were going to shut it down and all donations were going back on that one. >> so now what are you going to do? >> well, i teamed up with a retired baltimore city police officer who actually has his own website. he said he was inspired because of the shutdowns and he changed his whole website to specifically be able to put up a campaign for any type of these causes for cops and their families or so on and so forth. any person in distress that is part of the law enforcement family. >> they are still presumed innocent even though they're police officers. it's amazing. even though they're cops, they're still presumed innocent. we'll continue to follow it. thank you for being here. >> uh-huh. >> we'll be right back. the world is filled with air. but for people with copd sometimes breathing air can be difficult. if you have copd, ask your doctor about once-daily
6:56 pm
anoro ellipta. it helps people with copd breathe better for a full 24hours. anoro ellipta is the first fda-approved product containing two long-acting bronchodilators in one inhaler. anoro is not for asthma. anoro contains a type of medicine that increases risk of death in people with asthma. it is not known if this risk is increased in copd. anoro won't replace rescue inhalers for sudden copd symptoms ld not be used more than once a day. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition, or high blood pressure. tell your doctor if you have glaucoma, prostate or bladder problems, or problems passing urine as anoro may make these problems worse. call your doctor right away if you have worsened breathing chest pain, swelling of your mouth or tongue, problems urinating or eye problems including vision changes or eye pain while taking anoro. nothing can reverse copd. the world is filled with air and anoro is helping people with copd breath air better.
6:57 pm
get your first prescription free at ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ the ones with the guts to stand apart - join a league all their own. ♪
6:58 pm
have a sunset mode. and an early morning mode. and a partly sunny mode. and an outside... to clear inside mode. transitions® signature® adaptive lenses ...are more responsive than ever. so why settle for a lens with just one mode? experience life well lit®. upgrade your lenses to transitions® signature®. get up to ninety dollars back when you combine crizal, varilux and transitions... and buy a second pair with xperio uv polarized sun lenses. visit to learn more. my school reunion. i don't know. who wants to play in idaho? gotta get milwaukee up to speed. we win in flint, we take the lead. we'll close the deal if we just show... when it's go, go to the site with the right room, rewards
6:59 pm
and savings up to 20% when you book direct. bring us your aching and sleep deprived. bring us those who want to feel well rested. aleve pm. the only one to combine a safe sleep aid... plus the 12 hour pain relieving strength of aleve. be a morning person again with aleve pm. dr. ben carson is here tomorrow night.
7:00 pm
and to top huckabee's live studio appearance he will perform surgery right here on this -- no. but it will be his first tv interview since he announced. see you then. tonight, a decorated nypd cop dies after being gunned down -- >> in his very brief career, he already proved himself to be an exceptional young officer. >> but liberals only seem to care about the death of freddie gray. >> we know the answer to that. cops' lives don't matter. >> i think she caused this trouble and whether this trouble came yesterday or two weeks from now, it's going to be in the air as long as you taunt. >> and the left ignores america's real threat by blaming pam geller. she's back tonight to take on her critics.